Class your pages
Organise your pages with categories
Our free tool to make a website dedicated to creating unlimited pages. As you create your pages, you will want to make navigation easy and quick for your site visitors. This calls for clearly classing pages to better organise and display your pages on your website.
Let's see together how to order your pages, using our easy category creation system, that can be nested on several levels.
Create a category
Look at a simple example, showing how to class the pages by categories.
- The image on the left below, shows the "classic hierarchy" where the pages are all on one level.
The pages are found directly at the root, they are not arranged into categories. In this case where you have a lot of pages, the list can become very long and be difficult to manage.
- The image on the right, you see a multi-level hierarchy. The pages are classed (they are put into categories and subcategories).
Example 1 :
Why organise the pages in categories ?
By organising your pages into categories and subcategories you could have many advantages, but this list is not exhaustive, there are many other options available to you.
- Find your content quickly. If looking for the pages that talk about vacations 2011, you just need to go to the folder marked Pages > Vacations > 2011 for example.
- Make menus easy on your site.
- If you take the same example above, you could create a horizontal menu for "Vacations".
- Then when hovering you will see "2009", "2010", "2011" displayed in a drop down menu (for more info, check out the useful tutorials :
Organize the horizontal menu of your site or creating menu structures )
- Protect your content by creating categories.
- For example, you wish that only members of your family have access to your vacation photos.
- You can protect the whole category by password. (for more information, check out the tutorial : Make a member community on your site).
- Use multiple structures for each of your categories.
- For example, you can create a vertical menu to display your photos, displaying the last photos taken with the multitude of widgets available
(for more information, take a look at the tutorials :creating menu structures).
- Name your categories and URL
- By naming your categories wisely, the resulting URLs are clean and clear (can edit in the part "Search Engine Optimization" of your categories)
- Instead of having a page whose URL address is www.yoursite.com/pages/vacations-saint-tropez-2011.html, your URL will be www.yoursite.com/pages/vacances/2011/saint-tropez.html
- Each information is analyzed separetly by search engine and optimizes naturally categories and pages.
Organize pages into categories
To add a category you click New Category in the page explorer. If you wish to create subcategories upon subcategories, the same principal holds true.
Click on the category then click New Category again, and a sub category will be created.
You can then easily place your pages into the categories. This can be done by drag-n-drop or by defining the category when editing the page. Please note, if you change the category the URL address will change and you may want to do redirections. Before closing this guide, we invite you to discover our latest tips to properly write your web pages.